Monday, July 16, 2012

Digital Citizenship Blog

Below is an assessment of the discussion we had in class about digital citizenship.

What did you learn that you did not know before? 

          When you buy a child a new toy that they have never seen before do you just hand it to them and expect that they will know how to use it? Most likely not. You take the time to show them what the toy does, how to use it and remind them to take care of it. This is the same approach we need to take with children and technological tools. It’s imperative that we show them the correct ways to use these tools they have available to them and never assume they already know.

My generation grew up with the internet, computers and cell phones but I on the other hand did not. I grew up in the country where I played outside every day from daylight to dusk. My foster parents didn’t believe in allowing children to watch television never mind having internet. When I entered middle school I had my first computer class and we did a lot of word processing but not much on the internet. In high school I started to explore the web but my parents were still against having a computer in our home. The web to me is a luxury so why would I want to ruin it. Children today don’t feel the same as I but I wish they could see what it is like to go without the things they take for granted. Children need to be taught good moral and ethical values which they can then adhere to in every aspect of their lives including digitally. Today our lives are no longer just memories but proof available to view digitally every day.  Anybody can see who we are even if we don’t know them. In person we can sway people’s feelings about us but in our digital world people make assumptions based on the research they find on us, which could be false or outdated. Nothing is forgotten on the internet so children need to realize that what they put out there will impact their lives forever.  The question left is who will teach them this? Teaching ethical and moral guidelines is done by every person in someone’s life (family, teachers and community) so that needs to be the same approach to teaching digital citizenship.
What did you find interesting? 
          I loved the following video:
It was simple and reminds all of us the questions we need to ask ourselves before we post anything on the web or send anything digitally.
Was there something you read that you disagreed with? 
          The article WhyTeachers Need Digital Citizenship by Suzie Nestico reminded me that we can’t let our fears restrain ourselves from being good examples of digital citizenship. Teachers need to be able to use the tools they are teaching about. Teachers need to have Facebook pages but schools need to install better rules and regulations about digital use to educate students but protect educators and students. The article provided a good life example of what can happen when someone fraudulently pretends to be you on the internet and then tries to ruin your name. On Halloween children dress up and pretend to be anything or anyone they want. They feel invincible behind their masks and sometimes act up because they don’t feel like they will get caught. This is the same way on the web. The only problem is that what some children feel like is just simple fun can actually be something that can ruin someone’s reputation and go even further.
          In the adult world when you fraudulently impersonate someone else and attempt to ruin their reputation there are harsher consequences. I did not agree with this statement, “If nothing else, I try and remember we are working with kids, after all. I’m not in this business to punish. I just want my students to learn what is right and what is wrong in their online behaviors”. The student should have been found and made to apologize to all the people he or she affected. That would teach that student that no matter how hard you try you are not completely hidden behind a computer and what you do online impacts others in reality.
          We can’t expect that a student will learn their lesson because we fixed the problem; they need to learn their lesson by fixing the problem themselves.
Do you think it is important to teach digital citizenship skills to students even if you are just working on the computers in your class for a quick lesson? 
          YES!!! It’s important to take the time to let your students know what you expect from them that includes how they should use the computers that will be made available to them. As a mother of a six year old I get to hear over and over again, “You didn’t tell me I couldn’t do that”. How can you fight that logic? We can’t assume that students will know what is expected from them or how to properly use the tools being made available to them. We can argue, well its common sense. I’m now learning the hard way that what is common sense to me is not common sense to all and assuming that everybody should know what we know is ignorance. So take some time to remind students how to use the computer, wrong uses and consequences if they use it incorrectly.
Were you surprised at your own digitalfootprint?
         
I was not surprised by my own digital footprint because I do many things online. Mostly everything in our lives is digitalized for easy storage. There might be certain protocols that need to be taken to gain access to sensitive personal information but it is still available online. I need to limit how much information I have available because it makes it easier to hack into sensitive information. When someone searches me what do I want them to see and know about me? I need to limit the information I make available to what I want others to know about me.
Who's job is it to teach the skills and when should they be taught?
            Everyone that enters a child’s life takes part in their education so that means that everyone (family, educators, and the community) should take part in teaching children the skills needed to be good digital citizens. When do we start teaching our own children how to be good citizens? Probably as soon as they start processing information because children learn from examples. When a child is introduced to technological tools that is when we should start teaching them how to be good digital citizens. We can teach them by providing ourselves as good examples. That doesn’t mean teach them everything right away but instead build on it as they become more technologically savvy.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was very well thought out and well written. I particularly like your point about the importance of teaching digital citizenship skills even if you're just giving a short lesson on the computer. You are so right that kids often need to be told exactly what they can and cannot do in very explicit terms. We understand this when our kids are very young, and we make sure to cover light sockets, hold their hands in parking lots etc. But we forget that their brains are still developing all the way through their teen years and that they need our help making judgment calls.

    ReplyDelete